What is carbon monoxide?

Carbon monoxide (CO) is an invisible, odorless and tasteless gas. It’s produced by incomplete fuel combustion usually caused by insufficient oxygen. In your home, appliances that use natural gas, charcoal, wood or kerosene are vulnerable. Especially if they are not operating properly or have been installed incorrectly.

Vehicle exhaust fumes from nearby garages, as well as fireplaces that aren’t working right can also be a carbon monoxide source. CO is poisonous to the body and is fatal at increased levels or with long exposure.