One of the most routine problems that we encounter at Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning in Orlando is dusty air filters. They can seem like a very insignificant piece of the whole home comfort puzzle, but the role they play in helping us maintain comfort is a lot bigger than most homeowners notice. Regardless if it is cooling season or heating season, having a clogged air filter can cause a variety of concerns for your heating and AC system.
So what exactly happens when you forget to swap out your air filter? Here are a just a handful of the side effects you might encounter:
- Diminished airflow. This is easily the greatest problem you’ll recognize when your home’s air filter is severely clogged. The longer the air filter goes without being switched, the more dirt, dust and other particles build up. Of course, this inhibits air from passing through the filter as it should, meaning your system is working significantly harder to give you the same amount of air.
- Frozen coil. If your system is working harder because of a dirty air filter, you also run the chance of having the cooling coil freeze inside of the system, because it’s running overtime to provide you with cool air.
- Total loss of cooling or heating. This is also a possibility if your air filter goes neglected for months and months on end. In essence, you will have worked your system so hard that something quits working or wears out and needs to be replaced or serviced.
- Short cycling. Short cycling means the heating and cooling system turns on and off excessively. When your system short cycles, it can overheat or break down from the added work, which could end up causing damage to your system.
In addition to these, you can also expect:
- A diminished equipment lifecycle
- Lower energy efficiency
- Diminished air quality
- Increase in dust and debris
- Lack of comfort
If you’re not sure when you last swapped out your air filter, it may be a good time to do so in order to get around any likely damage that could come with a dirty air filter. If you don’t know where your home’s air filter is located or you simply have a question about the variety of air filters we carry, give Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning a call at 407-329-7661 or schedule an appointment online.