When bad weather comes around, whether it’s forecasted or not, it can have a lot that comes with it. Staying safe and protecting your home are your greatest priorities, but did you know there are things you can do to prep your air conditioner so that when the storm finishes, your AC repair technician will give you the a-okay?
Taking even a small bit of time to think about your heating and cooling systems before the storm strikes can help you avoid damage to your system when it’s all said and done. Then, when you arrange for an AC repair professional to check your system after the storm, they can probably provide you with good news that your steps worked.
At Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning, we realize that there’s only so much prep work you can do to get ready for threatening weather, and time may not give you much notification, so we’ve put together a a checklist of what you can do before and after a severe weather event occurs.
- Turn off your heating and cooling equipment. Power surges are common during severe weather, so be sure to turn off your system via your thermostat and your circuit breaker to ensure it is completely off.
- Cover the outdoor unit. Whether it’s a specific AC cover or simply a tarp, covering your system and securing the cover can keep away any debris that gets strewn about during severe weather. Just make sure you have turned the system totally off before covering it with anything.
- Prep your yard. Make sure all loose outdoor items such as grills, patio furniture and any yard tools are stored in a protected place so that they don’t get strewn about during the storm.
- Clear the debris. Once it is ok to head outdoors, make sure any debris is cleared away from your outdoor unit.
- Damaged? If you locate any damage to your system or if it is sitting in standing water, call Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning prior to turning on your air conditioner. We can properly check out your system and figure out whether or not an AC repair is a necessity.
Of course we all hope that threatening weather doesn’t hit us in Orlando, but we have to be prepared if we want the best chance to avoid any major damage or other issues that can come with it. If you have any questions about how to best prep for bad weather in Orlando or want to know what our AC repair service consists of after the storm has passed, give us a call at 407-329-7661 or schedule an appointment with Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning through our online scheduler.