Your air conditioner’s purpose is keeping the air in your home cool, which means that any time you allow heat back in your home, you’re making the air conditioner work harder than it should have to. While the air conditioner is your main source for cooler air, there are a number of things you can do, outside of air conditioner service, to help keep the Orlando heat out and help your air conditioner last during the rest of the summer.
Here are some tips from Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning to help keep hot air out of your home:
- Block out the sun. A lot of heat makes its way into your home through your windows. Keep it out by utilizing solar screens, tinted windows and blackout curtains. At minimum, install blinds and keep them closed.
- Seal air leaks. The rooms in your home that are air conditioned should be as air-tight as possible. Inspect your crawlspace, basement or attic for major air holes like these in the building envelope. We can perform a complete comfort performance assessment for you to discover leaks in walls, ceilings and ducts.
- Check for leaky doors and windows. Inspect your windows and doors and add or replace caulk or weather-stripping that looks to be torn or showing signs of wear.
- Try no-cook or served-cold meals. Your stove and oven generate a lot of heat in your home. Try some no-cook meals and use your microwave instead of your stove or oven.
- Run the dishwasher and dryer at night. Save any household activities that may create heat for evenings after the temperature outside drops. You can also let your dishes and clothes air dry and let those appliances rest.
- Provide window coverage outside the home. Awnings over windows and doors can help protect from the sun’s direct heat. Trees can also provide shade and deflect some of the heat.
- Get a free air conditioner consultation. The greatest impact on heat is a new air conditioning system evaluation. After finding out about new air conditioner systems, technology and options, the greatest option may simply be an air conditioner upgrade.
If you don’t feel like your home is sustaining cool temperatures despite following the tips we noted, it might mean that you need air conditioner service or repair. Air conditioner maintenance is one of the best ways to make sure your equipment is running properly and that you are getting peak efficiency and results. Don’t stay uncomfortable longer than need be. Give Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning in Orlando or set up an appointment online to have a professional check out your air conditioner and make sure it’s working correctly.